Mission Success is a three-part program providing valuable information about SWIC, your current academic skill level and the courses you need to take to meet your goals.
Part 1: Welcome/College Information Session
In this group session, you will learn information about SWIC academic programs, resources and services, which can help you be a more successful student. The session also provides the opportunity to meet other students who are starting their college careers at SWIC.
Part 2: Assessment
Take the COMPASS test to assess your skill levels in math, reading and language for proper placement in math and English courses.
Who is Required to Take the Assessment?
- New students taking three or more college credit classes
- Students taking a first-time college-level English or math course
- Students wishing to enroll in classes that require specific English and/or math competency levels
- Students applying for admission to the Associate in Arts, Associate in Fine Arts or Associate in Science degree program
- Students taking any Electrical/Electronic Technology course except Electrical/Electronic Technology 100
Who is Exempt?
- Students who received a grade of "C" or better for college-level math and English courses at another college or university that meets SWIC equivalencies
- Students taking certificate programs or classes that do not require college credit math or English, unless specified elsewhere
All students MUST be assessed prior to accumulating more than 12 baccalaureate credit hours.
Exempt students must see a counselor for written permission before enrolling. Documentation of previous coursework (transcript, grade report, etc.) is required. Assessment scores remain current for two years. Any questions should be addressed to a counselor at the Belleville, Sam Wolf Granite City or Red Bud campuses or the East St. Louis Community College Center.
Part 3: Individual Counseling
You are encouraged to meet with a counselor after your assessment to discuss your individual needs and academic plans. You will receive an individual interpretation of your assessment in preparation for registration and assistance in selecting your coursework and declaring your academic plan.
Before scheduling your Mission Success appointment
Submit a New Student Information form online through eSTORM or contact Enrollment Services at the Belleville, Sam Wolf Granite City or Red Bud campuses to request a form.