Auditing a course means a student may attend class but will not receive course credit for attendance or work performed. The instructor reserves the right to restrict a student's participation in class assignments, testing, classroom discussion and/or other class activities. Students auditing courses should discuss their audit status with the instructor.
Enrolling for Audit Status
- Check the lists of courses below. You may not audit classes listed in the Non-Audit Classes list. Audit by Permission Classes require a Restricted Audit Approval Form, available in each department, signed by the department chair or program coordinator and the dean.
- You must wait until after the class has begun to register.
- Complete an Audit Request Form in person at any SWIC campus or at the SWIC Scott Air Force Base office.
- Pay. Tuition and fees are the same whether auditing a class or taking it for credit.
Status: Once registered, changing status from credit to audit, or vice versa, is not permitted. Closed class cards are not issued to audit status students.
Financial Aid: Audit status in a class does not qualify for financial aid eligibility.
Audited classes cannot be used at a later date for college credit or to fulfill admission or graduation requirements.
The following courses cannot be audited:
- All apprenticeship classes (BLA, CCA, CMA, IDM, IDP, IDW, IEW, IML, IMW, IWA, PDA, SMA)
- All community service activity (CSA) classes
- All general studies (GS) classes
- All internship classes
- AGRI - All courses
- AOJ - All courses
- ATY - All courses
- BIOL - All courses
- BUS - 205
- CHEM - All courses
- CIS - 296, 297
- CISC - All courses
- EMTP - All courses
- ENGR - All courses
- ES - All courses
- GEOG - 143
- HIST - 154
- HLTH - All courses
- HUM - 200
- IND - 296
- MA - 192, 195, 236, 237, 243, 255
- MATH - All courses
- MLT - 245, 275
- MT - All courses
- OAT - 260, 293
- PE - All courses
- PHYS - All courses
- PTA - 170, 270, 280
- RT - 112, 152, 160, 241, 298, 299
Audit by Permission Classes
The following courses may be audited, but require the approval of the department:
- ACRT - All courses
- AVIA - All courses except internships
- AVMT - All courses
- CAD - All courses
- EET - All courses
- FS - All courses
- HIT - All courses
- HORT - All courses except internships
- HRO - 105, 115, 167, 299
- HVAR - All courses
- MA - All courses except 192, 195, 236, 237, 243, 255
- MLT - 150, 200, 210, 220, 240, 250, 260, 270
- NE - All courses
- PARL - All courses
- PTA - All courses except 170, 270, 280
- RC - All courses
- RT - All courses except clinical courses
- SLS - All courses
- WLDT - All courses