Course Information

Course Numbering System

Courses numbered 100-199 are first-year or freshman-level courses. Courses numbered 200-299 are second-year or sophomore-level courses. Courses numbered below 100 are preparatory, general studies or refresher courses and do not count toward graduation requirements. Credit may not be earned beyond the number of hours indicated.

Course Credit/Course Units

Credit is awarded as course credits/course units. The number of course credits/course units earned for completion of each course is indicated with the course description in the catalog and also in the class schedule.

To ensure that the units earned are applicable to a specific degree or certificate program, check with a counselor. In addition, colleges and universities have individual policies for the acceptance of course credit/course units. Check with transfer institutions and/or advisors to ensure the transferability of units.

Course Load

A student who is registered for 12 or more units (semester hours) during the fall and spring semesters or 6 or more units (semester hours) during the summer is considered a full-time student. Enrollment requirements for financial aid purposes may be different. The normal full-time course load is 15 to 18 units (semester hours). Registration for more than 18 semester hours during fall and spring semesters and 9 semester hours during the summer must be approved by a counselor. Students with a grade-point average of 3.0 (B) or better generally are considered for such approval.

The Veterans Administration and some other funding agencies designate minimum unit (course) loads for qualification purposes.

Dropping Courses

It is the student's responsibility to drop or withdraw from classes when not in attendance. Failure to properly drop or withdraw could result in a failing grade. Please note: Instructors can assign a W (Withdrawn) or WF (Withdrawn Failing) grade before the published last due date to withdraw from a class.

Students may not withdraw from a full-term class within two weeks of the ending date of the fall or spring term and within one week of the ending date of the summer session. Variable class withdrawal deadlines apply to classes lasting less than a full term. A grade of W (Withdrawn) will be recorded for withdrawals initiated by you. If you withdraw from a reduced-length class after this allowed time frame, you will receive an FLW (Failure Late Withdrawal) grade, which calculates as an F grade.

Students may drop/withdraw (or swap-section change) a course online by logging into eSTORM. Students also may drop or withdraw from a course by completing an official Drop/Add/Section Change form. Forms are available at any enrollment location or the Counseling Center. The completed form must be returned to one of these registration centers for processing. Official drops/withdrawals will not be accepted by telephone.

Repeating Courses

Courses may be repeated in an attempt to improve a grade. When a course is repeated, only the most recent grade is averaged into a student's grade point average at SWIC. However, all attempts will remain part of a student's permanent academic record at SWIC. It is important to note that each school a student may wish to transfer to may have its own policy on the way repeated courses are calculated into a grade point average. Check with those transfer institutions prior to admission in order to determine calculation rules.

It is important to note that some classes have been identified by SWIC, and approved by the Illinois Community College Board, as "repeatable" classes. In this case, the class would be factored into a student's grade point average each time it is repeated. As stated in the previous paragraph, it is important to check with transfer institutions prior to admission in order to determine calculation rules.