In order to be eligible for these scholarships, students must:
- Write a short (1-2 page) paper on construction safety on submit to SIBA Safety and Crime Prevention Committee
- Have a minimum of a 2.5 / 4.0 grade point average (GPA) when applying for scholarship
- Have a full-time student status
- Be enrolled in a Construction Management program at Southwestern Illinois College, John A. Logan College or Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
Students chosen for these scholarships must:
- Attend monthly Safety and Crime Prevention Committee meetings and adhere to the same attendance as other SIBA committee members (this requirement may be relaxed for students at John A. Logan College)
- Take part in a full day ride along with a SIBA company’s safety manager to observe/mentor safety walk-throughs, JSAs, TBTs, etc., and to get exposure to the industry
- Maintain a minimum 3.0 GPA during the scholarship semester
- Maintain full-time student status
- Prepare short (5-10 minute) presentation on experiences and knowledge learned throughout the year at the end of the award period
The first half ($750) of the award will be presented at the next regularly scheduled Safety and Crime Prevention Committee meeting after students have been chosen. If the students comply with all requirements, they will be awarded the second half of their scholarship money at the end of the school year.
Papers should be emailed to Oliver Coulson at OJCoulson@tarltoncorp.com by Sept. 14, 2012. Papers must be in Adobe .pdf format in the following nomenclature: "last name, first name - school.pdf", i.e. "Coulson, Oliver - SIBA.pdf". Papers will be reviewed by the Safety and Crime Prevention Subcommittee at their September meeting and the chosen students will be expected to attend the monthly meetings beginning in October.