Recognizing the challenges of combining single parenthood and college, the Herstory Committee offers this scholarship to help provide the opportunity to fulfill creative and intellectual promise. This economic support is intended to offer the recipients the breathing room to explore their potential and meet their goals for
themselves and their children.
Two awards will be given. $1,000 to a fulltime student and $500 to a part time student. Half will be awarded in the fall semester and half in the spring for recipients who maintain all eligibility requirements. This award may be used for tuition, books, transportation, childcare, utility bills, or anything else that contributes to the recipient’s success at SWIC.
- Single parent who is the primary caregiver of a child under the age of 18.
- Minimum 3.0 GPA.
- Financial need is considered but is not an exclusionary factor.
This scholarship is administered by the Southwestern Illinois College Foundation. Apply online. When writing the SWIC Foundation application essays, please include this information in addition to the required topics.
- Essay A: Educational and Professional Goals, include your intellectual and creative interests.
- Essay B: Recent Honors and Involvement in the Community, include extracurricular parenting activities.
- Essay C: Financial Need, include how you would use this scholarship award.
The goal of the essays is to introduce yourself to the Herstory Scholarship Committee. We are interested in who you are as a student, scholar, and parent.
Letters of Recommendation:
Two letters of recommendation are required. Please give the statement of purpose for this scholarship to those who write the letters. Letters should be from teachers, employers, volunteer coordinators, etc. Letters should not be from friends, family, or social acquaintances.