Essential Service Functions
- Be a role model and leader for elementary school-aged children.
- Assist counselors in the daily set up, service and clean up of lunch and afternoon snacks to campers; set up and clean up of camp activities; and upkeep of camp facilities.
- Tutor campers before camp in an identified subject area such as elementary math, reading, spelling or language skills.
- Organize recreational and enrichment activities in partnership with the camp director and fellow counselors.
- Manage camper behavior and enforce camp rules as required.
- Supervise children on field trips.
- Have the physical ability to endure activities occurring outdoors during summer months.
- Achieve a minimum of 300 hours of service at your assigned site daily. Service hours vary with each camp.
- Attend a pre-camp orientation.
- Assist with camp tutoring and enrichment programs.
- Complete at least one service project per month. A list is provided to choose projects.
- Serve the Tour de Belleville bike ride.
- Adhere to policies in the AmeriCorps member handbook. Belleville AmeriCorps is a values-driven organization and expects its members to look to the values implied by the mission and discussed in orientation to guide any choices when acting on behalf of AmeriCorps.
- Vacation, time off or college courses should be planned before or after summer camp. Time off is at the discretion of the camp director and AmeriCorps program director. Any planned time off should be arranged before the start of the camp.
- Must be at least 17 years of age as of the first day of service
- Be be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national or legal permanent resident alien
- Pass a comprehensive background screening
- Ideal candidates will enjoy working with kids, have a passion for service, have strong letters of recommendation, demonstrate effective organizational & communication skills, and be flexible, able to set goals, & work as part of a dynamic team.
- Cannot serve as a member and also be a SWIC employee or current student worker.
Questions? Call the AmeriCorps director or field coordinator at 618-235-2700, ext. 5709 or ext. 5711.