Keys to Success/Academic Workshops
- Bring your questions about study skills, test taking, test anxiety and learning styles.
- Learn to study smarter, not harder in these FREE workshops.
- Workshops are limited to a small group of students and facilitated by a counselor.
- Memorizing: How to remember; different memory styles for the auditory, visual and kinesthetic learner; memory tricks (mnemonic devices).
- Time Management / Stress Management: Managing short- and long-term time commitments (school, work, family, etc.); creating a personal schedule to see how much "free time" you really do have; combating procrastination; knowing when and what to study.
- Taking Lecture Notes: How to keep from forgetting 50 percent of what you hear, classroom strategies for staying alert; determining what to write in your notes; using the Cornell Note-Taking Method.
- Reading Textbooks: How to use the "PQRST" (Preview, Question, Read, State, Test) Method; avoiding the two most common reading problems; what to do if reading is getting difficult.
- Test Anxiety: How to prepare for tests mentally, physically and emotionally so that you can remain calm and focused; common causes and solutions to test anxiety.
- Taking Tests: Preparing for different types of tests (True/False, Multiple Choice, Essay, etc.); how to "read" the test and the hidden clues.
- Learning Styles: Identify your learning style using the VARK assessment; learn the most effective study methods for your particular style.
- Math Anxiety: Learn how to conquer your fears of math and take control of your anxiety.
Information and Registration
- Belleville Campus Information Sciences Building Room 1115, 618-235-2700, ext. 5206
- Sam Wolf Granite City Campus Academic Advising/Counseling Dept., 618-931-0600, ext. 7333
- Red Bud Campus Student Development Center, 618-282-6682, ext. 8114
- East St. Louis Community College Center Academic Advising/Counseling Dept., 618-874-6595
Dates and times for these workshops are listed on the schedule under Academic Workshops by campus. Visit the Counseling workshop schedule.