Benefits of Nontraditional Careers
What are advantages of nontraditional careers?
Students pursue nontraditional careers for various reasons, including:
- Higher Pay - Many nontraditional careers have higher salaries and better benefits compared to other occupations that require the same level of education.
- Technical Skills - Nontraditional careers often require specialized training, which promotes the development of the technical skills needed to succeed in today's workforce.
- Increased Job Satisfaction - Careers chosen for an individual's personal characteristics and strengths tend to increase job satisfaction.
Why consider a nontraditional career?
- Times have changed! Years ago girls were not allowed to take shop classes, and boys were forbidden to take home economics.
- A gender gap still exists. According to the U.S. Department of Labor, 2010, although women have increased the amount earned per hour in relation to men in the past 10 years, women in 2010 still earned only approximately 77 cents for every dollar of men's earnings.
- Nontraditional careers provide everyone in society the opportunity to think differently.
Top 10 reasons to choose a nontraditional career:
- Your job choice should be based on abilities and interests, not gender stereotypes.
- You'll spend more than 30 years working and you'll want to enjoy it.
- You can earn up to 30 percent more working in nontraditional jobs.
- You can earn enough to get what you want from life.
- Your training and education lays a solid foundation for your future.
- You'll learn new ways of thinking and dealing with others.
- Your skills will be needed in key fields.
- You'll see that less than one-third of new jobs require a four-year degree.
- You DO have a choice!
- You want to succeed!