Local high school students showcased their chopping, grating, sautéing and other culinary arts skills in the Platinum Chef Competition held at the Southwestern Illinois College Sam Wolf Granite City Campus recently.
Teams from eight area high schools competed in culinary arts challenges to create unique dishes from a variety of ingredients. The annual competition is co-sponsored by SWIC and the Madison County Career and Technical Education System.
“We’re proud to offer local students the chance to show off what they have learned in high school culinary classes through this event,” said SWIC Student Life Director Amy Brockman. “These students really get to exercise their skills and creativity.”
SWIC Culinary Arts and Food Management Instructor Chef Tom Noonan, Beast Craft BBQ Owner and Chef David Sandusky and River City Casino & Hotel Chef Matt Eaton judged the students’ work on the taste and appearance of the food, sanitation and students’ ability to explain their dishes.
The winners were:
• Best of Competition, First Place: East St. Louis High School
• Best of Competition, Second Place: Civic Memorial High School
• Best of Competition, Third Place: Alton High School
• Best Test Score: Belleville East High School
• Best Utility/Support Team: Civic Memorial High School
• Best Display Table Presentation: Alton High School
• Best Appetizer: Roxana High School
• Best Salad: Belleville East High School
• Best Entrée: East St. Louis High School
• Best Dessert: East St. Louis High School
• Best Oral Presentation of Dishes: East St. Louis High School
• Best Presenter: Edgar Jones – East St. Louis High School
• Overall Competition MVP: Edgar Jones – East St. Louis High School
• Team MVP for Alton: Tawny Stegall
• Team MVP for Belleville East: Arwa Shaban
• Team MVP for Belleville West: LaMondré Carter
• Team MVP for Civic Memorial: Nicole Braisher
• Team MVP for East St. Louis: Edgar Jones
• Team MVP for Edwardsville: Libby Ward
• Team MVP for Highland: Alexis Banks
• Team MVP for Roxana: Lyndzey Perry
For more information on the Platinum Chef Competition, contact Amy Brockman at 618-235-2700, ext. 5324; or for information on the SWIC Culinary Arts program, call Program Coordinator Leisa Brockman at 618-235-2700, ext. 5436.