Steps for Financial Aid Application - Southwestern Illinois College

Submit a FAFSA

Students should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA on the Web Worksheet is available in hard copy from our office and from high school counselors. You can complete the FAFSA online at List Federal School Code 001636 as the first school.

From the FAFSA results, you will be considered for the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Work-Study Program, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), Federal Direct Loan Program and Federal Direct PLUS loan. Continuing financial aid applicants will automatically receive a renewal application, usually in December, that can be used in place of the FAFSA. To check the status of your financial aid, log into your Student Center on eSTORM.

Verify Information

The U.S. Department of Education or Southwestern Illinois College can select your file for verification. If selected, we will ask you to provide additional documentation (forms, e.g., tax return transcripts, W-2s, birth certificate, etc.) by a stated deadline. Errors and discrepancies can require requests for additional information. If you are selected, your file must be verified before any financial aid is awarded. Failure to comply with verification requests by the specified date may result in your loss of eligibility.

Correct Information

If during the verification process, it is discovered that corrections to your application are needed, SWIC will make those changes electronically. You will receive notice from the Department of Education when the corrections have been processed.

Participate in Mission Success

Mission Success is required for all degree seeking students and will provide you with valuable information about the college, assess your current academic skills (reading, writing, math) and individually advise you on the courses you need to take in order to meet your goals. Visit the Assessment and Course Placement page for details.

Enroll in Classes That Are Required for Your Program of Study

It is a good idea to meet with an academic advisor each semester prior to enrolling in classes to discuss your program of study and course options. Call to make an appointment. If you enroll and do not attend, you must formally withdraw through Enrollment Services. If you do not withdraw during the refund period as described in the College Catalog, you will be billed for the tuition and fees for the classes.

Know What Can Affect Your Financial Aid

Financial aid awards are frozen after the first 10 class days of the official semester start date for the fall and spring semesters, and after the first five class days of the official semester start date for the summer session. Awards are not recalculated (increased or decreased) due to changes in enrollment status (adds or drops) that occur after this date unless the change results from a class cancellation or dropping a late-starting class within the refund period.

New award letters are not automatically sent when enrollment status changes affect award(s).

If you are enrolled in a class that you never attend or that begins after the normal refund period (the sixth week of the semester for fall and spring; fifth week for summer), receive financial aid for that class, and the class is subsequently canceled, you may be liable to repay a portion of your financial aid.

You can also be withdrawn for failure to attend by your instructor. See attendance policy in the college catalog. To check your enrollment, log into your Student Center in eSTORM.