Academic Advising Responsibilities
The following is a list of what you can expect to learn as part of the academic advising process:
- Students will accept responsibility for and understand their ability to make informed decisions regarding their certificate, degree and career goals.
- Students will create a plan for successfully achieving their educational and career goals through understanding their Advisement Report and developing their individualized plan for future course enrollment.
- Students will be able to navigate their student portal and locate important information.
- Students will be able to locate and understand college policies and procedures.
- Students will understand and use the services and resources available to them that can be important in meeting academic, personal, and career goals.
The following is a list of expectations of your academic advisor throughout the advising process:
- Advisors will enhance student understanding of the curriculum, graduation requirements, and college policies and procedures.
- Advisors will assist students in developing attainable academic and career goals.
- Advisors will encourage students’ growth in their ability to develop clear and reasonable educational plans.
- Advisors will connect students to effective tools and explain available resources and services on campus.
- Advisors will enhance student understanding on the life changing effect of higher education.
- Advisors will make themselves available to students during office hours for walk-ins, by appointment (when possible), telephone or e-mail.
- Advisors will guide students in developing responsibility for their role in their own education.
- Advisors will maintain confidentiality according to FERPA.