Public Folders Overview
Public folders can be used to share a wide range of information, such as project and work information, discussions about a general subject, or class assignments. Public folders are stored on the Exchange Server. Public folders have access permissions to determine who can view, create, and modify items in the folders.
- Click Public Folders in the Navigation Pane.
- Beside Public Folders, click the triangle to expand the display of the public folders or sub-folders.
- To open a public folder, click it. The posted messages contained in that public folder are displayed.
The Bulletin Board
- The Bulletin Board is a public folder (look for folder BulletinBd) used to post messages of general interest to Southwestern Illinois College’s faculty and staff.
- Types of messages that should be posted to the BulletinBd are Vacancy Announcements, items for sale, and non-work related notices.
- To post a message, simply address your email to BulletinBd.
- Messages are automatically deleted after two weeks.
Accessing Public Folders via Outlook Web App (OWA)
- Go to mail1.swic.edu and login.
- Right click Favorites
- Click on ‘Add Public Folders to Favorites’
- Highlight the Public Folder you need to add
- Click on ‘Add to Favorites’ in the top
- Click on the ‘X’ out to the right (same row as the ‘Add to Favorites’) when you are done adding folders.
Accessing Public Folders with the Desktop Client
- If you look at the bottom left of your desktop, you will see a row of icons:
- Clicking on the ellipsis (dot dot dot) will produce a drop down menu. Select Folders to see the public folders to which you have permissions.
- To add a public folders to Favorites, where you Inbox and Sent Items are displayed, do the following.
- Open up Public Folders and then All Public Folders to see the complete list.
- Right click the folder you wish to add to your Favorites and select Add to Favorites.
- Click Add. This will add the Public Folder to the Favorites under Public Folders.
- Right click on the Public Folder that you just added to the Favorites section and select Show in Favorites.
- Click on the Mail View on the bottom left hand side. Open up Favorites at the very top of the left pane to see the Public Folder in Favorites.