Now Hiring for Fall Tutors & Volunteer Coordinators!
Do something MEANINGFUL! Earn both $$$ for yourself & $$$ for college! Build your resume and your college application!
To apply immediately, go to: https://www.swic.edu/community/belleville-americorps/applicants/
For more information, call Cheryl at 618-641-5713 or Jay at 618-641-5711!
Funded in part by AmeriCorps, the Serve Illinois Commission on Volunteerism and Community Service, and local partners, Belleville AmeriCorps supports neighborhood and school efforts to strengthen the community.
To carry out the mission, Belleville AmeriCorps members:
- Increase academic success by tutoring
- Encourage community engagement through youth and adult volunteerism
- Provide positive recreational and enrichment activities for youth during after-school hours and summer months
- Promote computer literacy
Established in 1995, Belleville AmeriCorps is a partnership with Southwestern Illinois College, Belleville School District #118, Belleville School District #175, the City of Belleville, and the Franklin Neighborhood Community Association.
Since 1995, more than 1,300 members have served nearly 900,000+ hours tutoring students, serving as summer camp counselors, rehabilitating homes, promoting neighborhood beautification, and convening neighborhood watch groups.
Belleville AmeriCorps believes that only a diverse team can best serve and represent the community. This is why our members have varying educational backgrounds, ages, abilities, ethnicities, cultural backgrounds, religions, motivations to serve, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, etc.
Students with disabilities and/or diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
According to the DoSomething.org website:
- Children living in poverty have more school absenteeism or drop out.
- Students age 16-24 from low income families are seven times more likely to drop out.
- Poverty rates are higher for young adults without a high school diploma than those who completed high school.