What is PSOP?
Programs and Services for Older Persons (PSOP) staff provide a wide variety of direct and referral services to older adults, as well as their families and caregivers. The goal is to help older adults make the most of their health and independence while enjoying a rewarding lifestyle. PSOP has something for everyone!
Overview of services and programs
- Our Foster Grandparent Program provides limited-income seniors the opportunity to serve as one-on-one tutors and mentors to young people with special needs.
- Our RSVP program has more than 1,000 senior volunteers working throughout our service area.
- The Senior Companion Program helps older adults maintain their dignity and independence while also assisting caregivers by giving them respite or a break.
- Our Travel department welcomes travelers of ALL ages! We offer both day trips and overnight trips to exciting destinations.
- Short-term counseling is available for St. Clair County residents over 60, or for those who provide care-giving for a family member or friend over 60. Various support groups are also offered.
- The Senior Services Program, assists mature adults and disabled residents living in subsidized housing.
- The Resource Center provides Advocacy services as well as partners with area agencies to provide information and assistance with Medicare, Medicaid, food stamps, veterans’ benefits, simple wills and more.
- Alternative Transportation Services (ATS), a division of SWIC, provides curb-to-curb service for both individuals certified as American Disabilities Act eligible and those 60 and older.
- PSOP has a Wellness Program that includes a variety of exercise classes.
- In addition to all the programs mentioned above, our Activities Department offers a wide variety of programs, including: card and table games, chess, dances, lunches and so much more to fill your days.
A MATTER OF BALANCE “FREE” WORKSHOP
Learn how to reduce fear of falling
Become less likely to have a fall by doing physical
activity that increases your strength and balance
Have fun discussing useful strategies with your peers
This 8 week course runs Fridays, Sept. 20 to Nov. 8, from 10 a.m. – noon. To register, call 618-234-4410, ext. 7035.
Free Amplified Phones
Having trouble hearing on the phone? Illinois has a FREE amplified phone program! Visit PSOP at 201 N. Church St., Belleville, or call 618-234-4410, ext. 7012, 7024, 7040 or 866-942-SWIC (7942), ext. 7011, Illinois toll-free. This is a FREE program required and governed by Illinois law with no age or income restrictions. See www.itactty.org for details.
Donate to PSOP
Senior Resource Directory
The Senior Citizens Resource Directory contains a wide variety of programs, agencies and organizations, which can provide services to older persons. The agencies are designed to address the health, education, training and employment needs of the older person. The St. Clair County Office on Aging produces this guide.
PSOP Gift Certificates
Are you looking for a great gift idea for that special senior? Do your children ask you what you want? What about a PSOP gift certificate? The certificate is good for any trip or activity. Purchase gift certificates by calling 618-234-4410 Theresa (ext. 7043) or Melissa (ext. 7042).
VISIT, CALL, OR EMAIL
Cheryl Biver Brunsmann, PSOP
201 N. Church St. Executive Director
Belleville, IL 62220
Download the trip reservation form and learn more about each trip.