What is PSOP?
Programs and Services for Older Persons (PSOP) staff provide a wide variety of direct and referral services to older adults, as well as their families and caregivers. The goal is to help older adults make the most of their health and independence while enjoying a rewarding lifestyle. PSOP has something for everyone!
During periods of inclement weather, PSOP is closed when Southwestern Illinois College (SWIC Belleville Campus) closes.
Overview of services and programs
- Our Foster Grandparent Program provides limited-income seniors the opportunity to serve as one-on-one tutors and mentors to young people with special needs.
- Our RSVP program has more than 1,000 senior volunteers working throughout our service area.
- The Senior Companion Program helps older adults maintain their dignity and independence while also assisting caregivers by giving them respite or a break.
- Our Travel department welcomes travelers of ALL ages! We offer both day trips and overnight trips to exciting destinations.
- Short-term counseling is available for St. Clair County residents over 60, or for those who provide care-giving for a family member or friend over 60. Various support groups are also offered.
- The Senior Services Program, assists mature adults and disabled residents living in subsidized housing.
- The Resource Center provides Advocacy services as well as partners with area agencies to provide information and assistance with Medicare, Medicaid, food stamps, veterans’ benefits, simple wills and more.
- Alternative Transportation Services (ATS), a division of SWIC, provides curb-to-curb service for both individuals certified as American Disabilities Act eligible and those 60 and older.
- PSOP has a Wellness Program that includes a variety of exercise classes.
- In addition to all the programs mentioned above, our Activities Department offers a wide variety of programs, including: card and table games, chess, dances, lunches and so much more to fill your days.
Free Amplified Phones
Having trouble hearing on the phone? Illinois has a FREE amplified phone program! Visit PSOP at 201 N. Church St., Belleville, or call 618-234-4410, ext. 7040, 7024, or 866-942-SWIC (7942), ext. 7011, Illinois toll-free. This is a FREE program required and governed by Illinois law with no age or income restrictions. See www.itactty.org for details.
Staff is available to assist with license plate sticker discount applications (Benefit Access), energy assistance applications (LIHEAP) and Medicare/Medicaid questions/enrollment.
Our monthly senior food box program has resumed. To apply you must be at least 60 years old with monthly income below $1,473 for individuals or $1,984 for couples.
Please call 618.234.4410 ext. 7035 (Marsha) or ext. 7045 (Karen) for further information or details or to see if you qualify for these programs.
A Matter of Balance “FREE” Workshop
This free workshop will help you: • Learn how to reduce fear of falling • Become less likely to have a fall by doing physical activity that increases your strength and balance • Have fun discussing useful strategies with your peers 8-week course: Mondays, June 13 – July 25, 2022 1-3 p.m. To register, call 618-234-4410, ext. 7035
Computer Classes at PSOP
Beginning Computers: This one-day class will cover the basics of how to use a computer and what you can do with it. Instructor: Gene Busekrus / Cost: $10 (1 day)
Windows 10 Basics: This basic class will include explanations and hands-on usage of Windows 10 applications and features developed by Microsoft. Explore techniques and best practices for working with Windows 10 during this class. NOTE: This class is highly encouraged as a prerequisite for the following computer classes. Applications installed after the purchase of the computer will not be covered. Instructor: Gene Busekrus / Cost: $40 / (six weeks)
Computer Protection: Join this class for explanations and hands-on usage of applications to help protect your computer from hackers. Instructor: Gene Busekrus / Cost: $30
Word Basics: Join this class for explanations and hands-on usage of Microsoft Word basic features including techniques and practical uses of Word documents. Advanced features are NOT covered. Instructor: Gene Busekrus / Cost: $30
iPhone Basics: Join this basic level class for explanations and hands-on usage of Apple iPhone applications and features developed by Apple Techniques and best practices for working with the iPhone will also be shown. NOTES: Applications installed after the purchase of the iPhone are not covered. Device must be FULLY CHARGED before coming to each class. Instructor: Gene Busekrus / Cost: $40 Tuesdays, (six weeks)
iPad Basics: This basic class will include explanations and hands-n usage of Apple iPad applications and features developed by Apple. Techniques and best practices for working with the iPad will also be explored. NOTES: Applications installed after the purchase of the iPad are not covered. Device must be fully charged before coming to each class. Instructor: Gene Busekrus/ Cost: $40. (six weeks)
Please call or email Carla to register for above classes: 618.234.4410, ext. 7036 or Carla.email@example.com. All classes MUST be registered for AND paid for in advance. Payment MUST be received at least two weeks prior to the start date of class. REGISTRATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED TO BE COMPLETE UNTIL PAYMENT IS RECEIVED. No refunds will be issued within one week of the class start date unless a wait list exists to fill the spot created by a cancellation. In the event a refund is issued, a $5 processing fee will be held back from the amount paid. Please make checks payable to PSOP SeniorLink and mail to the attention of: Carla Boswell, PSOP, 201 N. Church St., Belleville, IL 62220
PSOP sponsored Driver’s Service Mobile Unit
Aug. 10, 2022 201 N. Church St. Belleville, IL
Oct. 12, 2022 7 Park Dr. Shiloh, IL
Dec. 14, 2022 201 N. Church St. Belleville, IL
Services provided to seniors 55 and older:
Rules of the Road class: 9:30-11 a.m.
Mobile Unit hours: 10 a.m. to 1:40 p.m.
Services available: Driver’s License Renewals
(including vision test, road test and written exam if required)
Road tests by appointment only
Real ID’s are not able to be completed through the Mobile DMV PAYMENT: Credit card or check; NO CASH
Other walk-in services available:
State ID cards and Vehicle Registration Renewals
Call 618-234-4410, ext. 7042 or 7043
Donate to PSOP
Senior Resource Directory
The Senior Citizens Resource Directory contains a wide variety of programs, agencies and organizations, which can provide services to older persons. The agencies are designed to address the health, education, training and employment needs of the older person. The St. Clair County Office on Aging produces this guide.
PSOP Gift Certificates
Are you looking for a great gift idea for that special senior? Do your children ask you what you want? What about a PSOP gift certificate? The certificate is good for any trip or activity. Purchase gift certificates by calling 618-234-4410 Theresa (ext. 7043) or Melissa (ext. 7042).
CALL OR EMAIL
201 N. Church St.
Belleville, IL 62220
Download the trip reservation form and learn more about each trip.