Using Microsoft Teams for online instruction
SWIC will be using Microsoft Teams to facilitate online instruction, along with Blackboard. All SWIC Students who have a @student.swic.edu email address already have a Microsoft Teams account. All SWIC students have Microsoft Office 365 apps, which includes Teams.
For Fall 2020, you will be invited into a Class Team in Teams for each class you are enrolled in.
- You will receive a Welcome email that you have been added to a Group for each of the classes you are registered for.
- You will also receive an email for each Class Team you have been added to.
- These emails will start to generate 14 days prior to the first day of class.
- You don’t need to do anything at this time.
Accept the invitation to the swic.edu organization
If this is your first time using Teams at SWIC, you may have to accept an invitation email:
Please, click Accept invitation to the swic.edu organization.
How do I access Microsoft Teams?
Download the Teams app – RECOMMENDED
SWIC recommends downloading the Teams app on your PC, laptop or mobile device. The desktop app provides the best Teams experience.
- Download Teams for desktop or mobile device: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/microsoft-teams/download-app
- Log into the app with your SWIC student email account and password.
Login through your Office 365 account (your student email account)
- Log into your Office365 account (this is also where you log in for your SWIC Student email) with your SWIC student email account and password: https://login.microsoftonline.com/
- Click the waffle on the top left of your screen.
- Click the Teams icon:
Login to Teams online
You can log directly into Teams on any browser. EDGE and CHROME are recommended.
- Open a browser and go to https://teams.microsoft.com/
- Log in with your SWIC student email account and password.
IMPORTANT! Go to the right domain
Once you have accepted an invitation to the swic.edu organization, you will have access to the swic.edu domain in Teams. This is where your SWIC Class Teams will be. You are a guest in this domain and will have limited access.
You may have to switch domains to view your SWIC Class Teams:
Mobile App – iPhone
Mobile App – Android
How do I find my SWIC Teams?
- Log into Microsoft Teams. We recommend downloading the Teams app for the full Teams experience.
- Click on the arrow next to your profile and choose swic.edu.
- Click on the Teams feature. You will see your Class Teams and Office Hours Teams listed.
- Click on the Class Team to see information and Online Class hours posted by your instructor.
- Click on the Office Hours Teams to see your instructor’s virtual Office Hours.
How do I join my online class?
When enrolled students log into Teams, they will need to switch to the swic.edu domain by clicking the down arrow next to the profile picture to access the Class Teams and Office Hours Teams:
- Students should see a Class Team for each class they are enrolled in (ACCT 110-001, etc). If your instructors have created Office Hours Teams, your will see those as well.
- Each Class Team is named the Class name and section, same as Blackboard.
- General Channel – available by default. Instructor may use this channel.
- Online Class Channel – Allow students to remotely join lectures and access to lecture recordings.
- Student Chat Channel – Allow classmates a place to chat.
- Students can access the class remotely by going to the Class Team>Online Class channel. Once the instructor has started the meeting, the student can see the Join button. You see a purple video icon on any channel where a meeting has started. This includes Office Hours that been opened by an instructor.
- Students can also access the meeting from their student Teams Calendar (they will have to switch to the student domain to see their Calendar).
- Students should be able to access the Class Team from Blackboard. Instructors have instructions to place a link to their Class Team from their Blackboard course.
- Once the instructor has started the Office Hours meeting, the student should see a notice the meeting has started and has a Join button available.
How do I join office hours?
When enrolled students log into Teams, they will need to switch to the swic.edu domain by clicking the down arrow next to the profile picture to access the Class Teams and Office Hours Teams.
- Once an instructor has started their Office Hours, you will see a purple video icon on their Office Hours Teams.
- Click on that channel and click the purple Join bar to join the class:
- Then Join again:
- You may see the message below if they are with another student. Please, wait until the instructor to be available:
Where can I find more help?
Help from SWIC
Contact the Technology Assistance Center. Please include your student ID number if you email or leave a voicemail.
Help from Microsoft
Click HERE for Microsoft Teams video training.
Click HERE for Microsoft Teams help & learning.