Help | Southwestern Illinois College

Need help?

This section has FAQs and How Tos for many of the tasks of interest to Prospective and Current Students of Southwestern Illinois College. The list of Helps topics can be found in the Section Menu.

Frequently Asked Questions

Am I required to take any placement exams?
Yes, for all students who indicate that they are degree-seeking, unless college-level math and English courses have been taken and a passing grade was earned at another college or university, OR, classes are being taken that do not require math or English requisites or course competency requirements. For more details, see the Math and English Course Placement section in this catalog.

How much is tuition at the college?
See the Tuition and Fees section of this catalog or for updated information.

What other costs are there?
Other expenses to consider are individual course fees and textbook costs. More information is available in the Fees section of this catalog.

Will my classes transfer to another college or university?
Many SWIC courses are intended to transfer. These courses are identified in the Course Description Guide with the letter T. For specific information about transferring, see an academic advisor prior to choosing your classes each semester. Also see the Transfer Information section in this catalog for additional information.

How can I get help with college expenses?
Refer to the Scholarships and Financial Assistance section in this catalog to check eligibility for SWIC scholarships, community scholarships, transfer scholarships, veterans’ services, student employment and/or state and federal financial aid.

Are there services available to adults returning to SWIC after their traditional college years are behind them?
Personal Advocate Linking Services (PALS) supports and encourages all students’ endeavors toward academic and career success. There are personal advocates at all campuses and they support students with their successful transition into college. The program also encourages ongoing support to current students for completion of personal and academic goals.

Where can I go for assistance in finding a job while I’m a student?
Assistance is available from both the Financial Aid Office (on-campus jobs) and the Career Services Office (off-campus jobs). Career Services provides job search assistance such as resume and portfolio preparation, interviewing skills, and registration into SWIC College Central Network for online employment opportunities.

Are tutoring services available?
Free tutoring is offered in the Success Centers at all three campuses. Tutoring is provided in a variety of academic areas and on a walk-in basis. Tutor schedules are available at each of the Success Centers and at

How do I request accommodations for a disability?
SWIC is committed to providing equal access to qualified students with disabilities. Contact the Disability & Access Center to request and receive accommodations and support services.

What types of extracurricular activities are offered?
Educational and cultural events and a wide variety of clubs and organizations are available at SWIC for students, faculty, staff and the community. A broad range of intercollegiate and intramural athletics are available also.

What are the different types of degrees offered at the college?
The degrees available to students who plan to complete a bachelor’s degree after transferring to another college or university are the Associate in Arts, Associate in Fine Arts, Associate in Engineering Science and Associate in Science. The degree available to students who plan to enter the workforce immediately upon graduation is the Associate in Applied Science. For additional information about degrees as well as certificate programs, see the SWIC Programs section in this catalog.

What is the average class size at SWIC?
While class sizes vary, the student/teacher ratio is 19-to-1, which makes it easy to get individual attention from your instructors.

How do I know which classes to take first?
Academic advisors are available to assist in selecting classes each semester.

How do I get a Student ID number?
Click here for more information about your student ID number.

Do I need a Student ID card and, if so, where do I get one?
SWIC students are entitled to an identification card. The identification card is optional but is required to receive the following services: Library card/Internet access, open computer lab access, discounts at the bookstore and Café (when offered), College Activities reduced purchases, free pass to Athletic events, ridership on the St. Clair County District Transit Authority MetroBus and MetroLink, Madison County Transit Bus System, book buyback, etc. Identification cards are available through the Public Safety office at the Belleville and Sam Wolf Granite City campuses, and at the Student Development Office at the Red Bud Campus.

How do I get my transcript?
Students may request transcripts through the college website ( Students can also request an official transcript via eSTORM services. For more information, see the College Transcripts section in this catalog.

What is SWIC Alert?
This free emergency alert system sends text messages and/or emails to students and employees. Text messaging is an opt-in notification system where a text message can be received on your mobile phone. SWIC does not charge for this service; however, the only cost is what the cell phone carrier charges to receive text messages. You may choose to receive text messages or emails for a specific campus or all campuses. Once enrolled, your account is active for one year. You will receive notice 30-days before your enrollment will expire.

How do I sign up for SWIC Alert?
Log in to your eSTORM account at; the SWIC Alert login will be on your Student Homepage, below the Student Center Link.

How can I find out if the college is closed or has a delayed opening due to inclement weather?
Information regarding the use of the Snow Schedule or closure due to weather conditions will be sent via SWIC Alert, posted on the college’s home page and broadcast on these stations:

Television Radio Website
KMOV-TV Channel 4 WHCO-AM 1230
KSDK-TV Channel 5 WIL 92.3
See the College Closing Policy section of this catalog for more details.

Students may sign up on eSTORM for SWIC Alert, an emergency alert system designed to notify students and employees by email or text message of campus closure due to inclement weather or other emergencies.

Can I take college classes if I’m still in high school?
High school students age 16 and older who have authorization to participate in college courses and programs may enroll. See the General Admission section in this catalog for more information.

Where do I get a parking permit?
For students, faculty and staff, parking is by permit only on the Belleville and Sam Wolf Granite City campuses. Permits are free and are issued by the Public Safety departments on those campuses or through the Student Development Office at the Red Bud Campus. Students attending the East St. Louis Community College Center must obtain a SWIC parking permit for that site. SWIC parking permits can be obtained in Bldg. A, Room 1003. For more information, see the Parking/Traffic Enforcement section in this catalog.

When do I apply for graduation?
Students need to apply for graduation by the following dates:
Oct. 15 for fall 2019 graduation; Feb. 15 for spring 2020 graduation; June 15 for summer 2020 graduation.