Local high school students showcased their chopping, grating, sautéing, baking and other culinary arts skills in the Platinum Chef Competition held at the Southwestern Illinois College Sam Wolf Granite City Campus recently.
Teams from six area high schools competed in culinary arts challenges to create unique dishes from a variety of ingredients. The annual competition is co-sponsored by SWIC and Madison County Career and Technical Education System.
“This event really lets students exercise their skills and creativity,” said SWIC Culinary Arts and Food Management Program Coordinator Leisa Brockman. “We’re proud to offer local students the chance to show off what they have learned in high school culinary classes.”
SWIC Culinary Arts faculty judged the students’ work on the taste and appearance of the food, sanitation and students’ ability to explain their dishes.
The winners were:
- Best of Competition, First Place: East St. Louis High School
- Best of Competition, Second Place: Granite High School
- Best of Competition, Third Place: Highland High School
- Best Test Score: East St. Louis High School
- Best Utility/Support Team: East St. Louis High School
- Best Table Presentation: Civic Memorial High School in Bethalto
- Best Appetizer: East St. Louis High School
- Best Salad: Granite City High School
- Best Entrée: East St. Louis High School
- Best Dessert: Highland High School
- Best Oral Presentation of Dishes: East St. Louis High School
- Overall Competition MVP: Antonio Polk, East St. Louis High School
- Team MVP for Belleville CAVE: Thomas Piotrowski
- Team MVP for Civic Memorial: Olivia Enke
- Team MVP for East St. Louis: A’maya Chapman
- Team MVP for Edwardsville: Addie Vaughan
- Team MVP for Granite City: Sakinah Amatullah-Martin
- Team MVP for Highland: Fay Wilson
For more information on the Platinum Chef Competition or for information on the SWIC Culinary Arts and Food Management program, call Brockman at 618-797-7323 or visit swic.edu/culinary.
Photo: Students from the East St. Louis Senior High School Platinum Chef team won Best of Competition and numerous other awards.