SouthwesternIllinois College is proud to offer the Youth Employment and Support Services Program, which is funded through the national Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act, Out of School Youth program. YESS provides St. Clair and Randolph County out-of-school youth, ages 16 to 24, with FREE comprehensive support and educational services to complete their High School Equivalency or secondary level of education. Work-site learning opportunities are also available to students in the career field of their choice.
Case managers design a formal, individualized agreement with each participant by assisting them in developing a plan of action to overcome barriers that may hinder them in fulfilling their education goals and/or obtaining employment that may lead to self-sufficiency.
The following services are available through the program:
- Tutoring and High School Equivalency instruction and testing
- Employment opportunities linked to participants’ career interests
- Work experience opportunities
- Leadership development
- Adult mentoring
- Workplace readiness training
- Follow-up services after exit (12 months)
- Transportation assistance
- Child care referral assistance
- Comprehensive guidance and counseling, including referral to service partners for drug and alcohol counseling as needed
To learn more about the YESS program or SWIC HSE classes contact SWIC Randolph County Youth Services Coordinator Karen Schaller at