Health and Physical Education Degree
Associate in Arts Degree (0001) – Health & Physical Education Pre-Major
Students who plan to earn an Associate in Arts degree then transfer to a four-year college or university to major in Health/ Physical Education should follow the steps listed below. It is strongly recommended that you confer with a SWIC academic advisor prior to enrolling each semester and familiarize yourself with the specific requirements of the four-year institution where you plan to transfer.
- Fulfill the General Education and other institutional requirements for the Associate in Arts degree listed in the printed or online College Catalog. General Education course preferences may vary by transfer institution.
- As you fulfill your degree requirements, it is strongly recommended that you take the following classes:
HES 151 – Personal Health and Wellness
SPCH 151 – Fundamentals of Public Speaking
PSYC 151 – General Psychology
CHEM 101 – Introductory Chemistry or CHEM 105 – General Chemistry I
BIOL 100 – General Biology: Ecology, Evolution, and Genetics OR BIOL 101 – Principles of Biology I
- Most four-year colleges and universities will accept the following classes as Health/Physical Education major credit:
HES 170 – Introduction to Exercise Science
HES 155 – Physical Fitness and Wellness
HES 152 – First Aid-Medical Self Help
HES 158 – Consumer Health
- The optional courses listed below may be applicable toward a baccalaureate Health/Physical Education major. Please keep in mind that most transfer institutions limit the number of credit hours taken within a student’s major field of study at the community college level. To ensure the acceptance of such courses toward your intended major, check with the four-year institution where you are transferring or a SWIC academic advisor regarding their applicability.
BIOL 157 – Human Anatomy & Physiology I
HES 154 – Nutrition, Exercise, and Weight Management
ED 252 – Educational Psychology
ED 255 – American Public Education
PSYC 270- Health Psychology
- Fulfill all other Associate in Arts degree requirements listed in the printed or online College Catalog.
- Apply for graduation by the date published in the college calendar.
- Earn at least 64 transferable credits with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.00 to graduate from SWIC. Many transfer institutions require a higher GPA for admission to the institution and/or specific majors.Note: Enrollment in many transfer classes is based on your score on the assessment placement test and/or your fulfillment of course prerequisites.