Refer to the following suggested curriculum and the graduation requirements as a guide for completing this program

Associate in Arts Degree (0001) - International Studies

Students who plan to earn an Associate in Arts degree and then transfer to a four-year college or university to major in International Relations, International Studies, Political Science or History should follow the steps listed below. It is strongly recommended that you confer with a SWIC counselor prior to enrolling each semester and familiarize yourself with the specific requirements of the four-year institution where you plan to transfer. This is especially true if you are pursuing a degree in International or Area Studies as these programs vary widely.

Fulfill the General Education and other institutional requirements for the Associate in Arts degree listed in the printed or online College Catalog. General Education course preferences may vary by transfer institution.

As you fulfill your degree requirements, it is strongly recommended that you take the following classes for a global perspective:

  • GEOG 152-World Regional Geography
  • POLS 240-Comparative Politics
  • POLS 270-International Relations
  • Foreign language of your choice (2 semesters)

It is recommended that you take the following classes:
Economic Perspective

  • ECON 201-Macroeconomics
  • GEOG 202-Economic Geography

Historical Perspective

  • HIST 232-Unted States at War OR HIST 292-US Since 1945
  • HIST 286-History of Religion

The optional courses listed below are suggested for the indicated baccalaureate majors:

  • HIST 101, 102-World Civilization I, II
  • HIST 180, 181-U.S. History

Political Science

  • POLS 150-Introduction to American Government
  • POLS 280-Plitical Theory

Fulfill all other Associate in Arts degree requirements listed in the printed or online College Catalog.

Apply for graduation by the date published in the college calendar.

Earn at least 64 transferable credits with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.00 to graduate from SWIC. Many transfer institutions require a higher GPA for admission to the institution and/or specific majors.