Associate in Engineering Science Degree (AES1) - Engineering Pre-Major
Students who plan to earn an Associate in Engineering Science degree then transfer to a four-year college or university to major in Engineering should follow the steps listed below. It is strongly recommended that you confer with a SWIC academic advisor prior to enrolling each semester and familiarize yourself with the specific requirements of the four-year institution where you plan to transfer.
- Fulfill the General Education and other institutional requirements for the Associate in Engineering Science degree listed in the printed or online College Catalog. General Education course preferences may vary by transfer institution.
- As you fulfill your degree requirements, it is strongly recommended that you take the following classes:
PHYS 204 – Physics – Mechanics
PHYS 205 – Physics – Heat, Elec & Magnetism
CHEM 105 – General Chemistry I
MATH 203 – Analytic Geometry & Calculus I
MATH 204 – Analytic Geometry & Calculus II
MATH 205 – Analytic Geometry & Calculus III
MATH 210 – Computer Programming for Engineers or MATH 170 – Computer Science I-C++ or MATH 171 – Computer Science I – Java
MATH 290 – Differential Equations
ENGR 103 – Engineering Graphics
ENGR 263 – Analytical Mechanics-Statics
ENGR 264 – Analytical Mechanics-Dynamics
- Most four-year colleges and universities will accept the following classes as Engineering major credit:
MATH 292 – Linear Algebra
ENGR 271 – Electrical Circuits
ENGR 275 – Mechanics of Solids
PHYS 206 – Physics – Light & Modern Physics
CHEM 106 – General Chemistry II
- The optional courses are listed on the Associate in Engineering Science Degree Requirement Checklist in the printed or online College Catalog and should be chosen by specialty. Please keep in mind that most transfer institutions limit the number of credit hours taken within a student’s major field of study at the community college level. To ensure the acceptance of such courses toward your intended major, check with the four-year institution where you are transferring or a SWIC academic advisor regarding their applicability.
- Fulfill all other Associate in Engineering Science degree requirements listed in the printed or online College Catalog.
- Apply for graduation by the date published in the college calendar.
- Earn at least 65 transferable credits with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.00 to graduate from SWIC. Many transfer institutions require a higher GPA for admission to the institution and/or specific majors.
Note: Enrollment in many transfer classes is based on your score on the assessment placement test and/or your fulfillment of course prerequisites.