Associate in Engineering Science Degree (0002) - Physics Pre-Major

Students who plan to earn an Associate in Science degree then transfer to a four-year college or university to major in Physics should follow the steps listed below. It is strongly recommended that you confer with a SWIC academic advisor prior to enrolling each semester and familiarize yourself with the specific requirements of the four-year institution where you plan to transfer.

  1. Fulfill the General Education and other institutional requirements for the Associate in Engineering Science degree listed in the printed or online College Catalog. General Education course preferences may vary by transfer institution.
  2. As you fulfill your degree requirements, it is strongly recommended that you take the following classes:
    PHYS 204 – Physics – Mechanics
    PHYS 205 – Physics – Heat, Elec & Magnetism
    PHYS 206 – Physics – Light &Modern Physics
    MATH 203 – Analytic Geometry & Calculus I
    MATH 204 – Analytic Geometry & Calculus II
    MATH 205 – Analytic Geometry & Calculus III
    MATH 290 – Differential Equations
  3. The optional courses listed below may be applicable toward a baccalaureate Physics major. Please keep in mind that most transfer institutions limit the number of credit hours taken within a student’s major field of study at the community college level. To ensure the acceptance of such courses toward your intended major, check with the four-year institution where you are transferring or a SWIC academic advisor regarding their applicability.
    MATH 292 – Linear Algebra
    CHEM 105 – General Chemistry I
    CHEM 106 – General Chemistry II
  4. Fulfill all other Associate in Engineering Science degree requirements listed in the printed or online College Catalog.
  5. Apply for graduation by the date published in the college calendar.
  6. Earn at least 65 transferable credits with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.00 to graduate from SWIC. Many transfer institutions require a higher GPA for admission to the institution and/or specific majors.Note: Enrollment in many transfer classes is based on your score on the assessment placement test and/or your fulfillment of course prerequisites.