Physical & Financial Hardship Appeal Request
Southwestern Illinois College recognizes that students may face hardship or other extenuating circumstances that may hinder attendance and/or academic performance.
These circumstances might lead students to consider withdrawing from classes. Students are encouraged to discuss the impact of withdrawing from courses with their advisor before making any registration adjustments.
Students who decide to withdraw from courses because of hardship may request assistance by submitting the Physical & Financial Hardship Appeal Request along with supporting documentation.
A hardcopy or pdf of the Physical & Financial Hardship Appeal Request Form is available if students are unable to access the online form.
The submission of this form does not automatically result in assistance. The Physical and Financial Hardship Committee will review all appeals. Students are notified of the decision through their SWIC student email.
Please note: students should have withdrawn from courses prior to the submission of the appeal. If it’s beyond the withdrawal deadline, students may contact their instructor to request a W notation in place of a final grade.
Types of hardships shall include but are not limited to:
- Student health-related circumstances (includes a serious injury/illness, mental health condition, chronic illness, etc.)
- Health-related circumstances of an immediate family member where the student is a part-time or full-time caretaker
- Death of an immediate family member (parent, child, spouse/partner, sibling or grandparent)
- Military Deployment
- Sudden or consistent lack of transportation
- A significant cost of living increase