Resource Liaisons for Unhoused and Undocumented Students
Unhoused Student is defined as an individual enrolled in an institution who lacks or is at imminent risk of lacking a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence or whose parent or legal guardian is unable or unwilling to provide shelter and care.
This also includes “Students in Care,” which refers to any student, regardless of age, who is or was under the care and legal custody of the Department of Child and Family Services.
Mental Health and Community Resources
Ami Lilley-Plexico, Wellness Advocate
- Identify community services and resources that are available to and appropriate for a homeless student.
- Make referrals to other on-campus resources to support student success.
- Connect a homeless student or student in care to a local continuum of care program.
- Train the institution’s employees to identify students experiencing homelessness and to refer those students to the liaison.
Financial Aid & Student Employment Resources
Hillary Kunz, Associate Director of Financial Aid, Veteran Services & Student Employment
- Assist a homeless student or student in care in applying for and receiving federal and State financial aid and available services.
- Maintain information on financial aid eligibility of homeless students, including eligibility as an independent student under the federal Higher Education Act of 1965.
SWIC Student Food Pantry
Amy Brockman, Director of Student Life
- Establish access to the campus food pantry and other services available within the Southwestern Illinois Community.
Disability and Access Center
Amy Markus, Intake Coordinator
- Assist with services and accommodations available for students. Accommodations may include training on assistive technology and software, setting up alternative formats for textbooks, facilitating classroom access by providing accommodations for tests/quizzes, note taking
Southwestern Illinois College (SWIC) is committed to providing an inclusive and supportive environment for all students.
If you are an undocumented/mixed status student are are in need of supportive services to help navigate you through your educational experience please contact the office of Student Services at 618-235-2700 ext. 5120.
You may also contact us through email at email@example.com.