Report Concerning or Threatening Behaviors
If you see behavior that indicates a potential for violence that concerns you or threatens anyone at Southwestern Illinois College, please call the SWIC Public Safety Department IMMEDIATELY at 618-222-5221 or dial 911 and report the behavior with information including location, date and time, persons involved, descriptions and witnesses. SWIC Public Safety Department is open 24/7.
Identifying Red Flag Behaviors in Students
It is the responsibility of faculty, staff and students to report Red Flag behaviors. Red Flag Behaviors may fall into two categories: (1) Immediate and (2) Concerning or Disruptive.
Below are examples of student behaviors that indicate the need for IMMEDIATE assistance:
- Carrying or displaying a weapon.
- Acts or threats of harm (verbal or written) to other individuals or property.
- Suicidal thoughts, statements, gestures, threats or attempts.
- Self-mutilating behaviors such as cutting or burning.
- Intimidating behaviors, including inappropriate touching, harassment or stalking.
- Loss of contact with reality such as hearing or seeing things that are not present.
- Change in ability to speak and/or disorientation to time and place.
- Disruptive behavior such as yelling or screaming uncontrollably, aggression or hostility.
- Anxiety resulting in disruption to the environment.
- Any words or conduct, such as intense anger, that cause fear for safety.
WHAT TO DO when IMMEDIATE assistance is needed: Call Public Safety at ext. 5555 or dial 911. After the emergency situation has been handled, complete a BEHAVIORAL INCIDENT REPORT. Upon receipt of the report, appropriate follow-up will be initiated by the CBITAT team.
CAMPUS BEHAVIORAL INTERVENTION / THREAT ASSESSMENT TEAM (CBITAT)
The Campus Behavioral Intervention/Threat Assessment Team or (CBITAT) is a team that responds to reports from the
campus community about concerning, disruptive or threatening behaviors.