Health Science & Safety Education Contact
Interested in Health and Physical Education at Southwestern Illinois College? Fill out the form below to have an admissions specialist contact you with information on how to get started!
Fields with a (*) are required.
Associate in Science Degree (0002) – Health Science & Safety Education Pre-Major
Students who plan to earn an Associate in Science degree then transfer to a four-year college or university to major in Health Science/Safety Education Science should follow the steps listed below. It is strongly recommended that you confer with a SWIC academic advisor prior to enrolling each semester and familiarize yourself with the specific requirements of the four-year institution where you plan to transfer.
- Fulfill the General Education and other institutional requirements for the Associate in Science degree listed in the printed or online College Catalog. General Education course preferences may vary by transfer institution.
- As you fulfill your degree requirements, it is strongly recommended that you take the following classes:
BIOL 101 – Principles of Biology I
CHEM 101 – Introductory Chemistry or CHEM 105-General Chemistry
HES151 – Personal Health and Wellness
- Most four-year colleges and universities will accept the following classes as Exercise Science major credit:
HES 152 – First Aid-Medical Self Help
HES 154 – Nutrition, Exercise, and Weight Management
HES 158 – Consumer Health
- The optional courses listed below may be applicable toward a baccalaureate Exercise Science major. Please keep in mind that most transfer institutions limit the number of credit hours taken within a student’s major field of study at the community college level. To ensure the acceptance of such courses toward your intended major, check with the four-year institution where you are transferring or a SWIC academic advisor regarding their applicability.
BIOL 105 – Human Biology or BIOL 157 – Human Anatomy & Physiology I
BIOL 250 – Microbiology
PSYC 270 – Health Psychology
SOC 153 – Introductory Sociology
- Fulfill all other Associate in Science degree requirements listed in the printed or online College Catalog.
- Apply for graduation by the date published in the college calendar.
- Earn at least 64 transferable credits with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.00 to graduate from SWIC. Many transfer institutions require a higher GPA for admission to the institution and/or specific majors.
Note: Enrollment in many transfer classes is based on your score on the assessment placement test and/or your fulfillment of course prerequisites.