Frequently Asked Questions - Southwestern Illinois College

How much is tuition at SWIC?

To determine your total tuition and fee cost per semester, add the tuition cost, mandatory fee charges and course/class fee charges. For additional information, go to Tuition & Fees.

For a full break down of estimated In-district, Out-of-District, and Out-of-State budgets, go to Cost of Attendance.

What other costs are there?

Other expenses to consider are individual course fees and textbook cost. Information on textbooks is available through our campus bookstores. For more information, go to Bookstore.

Will my classes transfer to another college or university?

Many SWIC courses are intended to transfer. These courses are identified in the college catalog Course Description Guide with the letter T. For specific information about transferring, see an academic advisor prior to choosing your classes each semester. Learn more about Transfer of Credit and Articulation.

How can I get help with college expenses?

Go to Financial Aid & Scholarships to see if you’re eligible for SWIC scholarships, community scholarships, transfer scholarships, veterans services, student employment and/or state and federal financial aid.

Do I need to take a placement test?

SWIC uses a variety of measures to determine college level placement in English and math. Speak with an Academic Advisor to review the best course placement for you.


Regulation 34 CFR 668.16 (p) requires Title IV schools to establish policies and procedures to confirm the authenticity of high school diplomas in the event that the school or the Secretary of the U.S. Department of Education has reason to question the validity of a student’s high school diploma. SWIC may require further documentation in the form of a certified copy of final high school transcripts for the high school in question or information from a company that evaluates foreign diplomas. Student self-certification is not considered sufficient proof of validity.  In addition to checking online for further information about the high school issuing the diploma and its accreditation or lack thereof, the College may also contact the Department of Education in the state in which the diploma was issued to determine if the school listed on the diploma is on the state’s list of recognized schools. Lack of accreditation does not necessarily make a high school ineligible. The College maintains a partial list of non-recognized schools for admissions staff to check when receiving a diploma from an unknown and questionable source. The College makes every reasonable effort to verify the validity of questionable high school diplomas.

Where can I go for assistance finding a job while I am a student?

Job placement assistance is available from both the Financial Aid Office (on-campus jobs) and the Career Services Office (off-campus jobs). Career Services provides job search assistance such as resume and portfolio preparation, interviewing skills and registration into SWIC College Central Network for online employment opportunities.

What types of extracurricular activities are offered?

Educational and cultural events and a wide variety of clubs and organizations are available at SWIC for students, faculty, staff and the community. A broad range of intercollegiate and intramural athletics is also available. For more information, go to College Activities.

What are the different types of degrees offered at SWIC?

The degrees available to students who plan to transfer to another college or university to earn their bachelor’s degree are the Associate in Arts, Associate in Fine Arts, Associate in Engineering Science and Associate in Science. Students who plan to enter the work force immediately upon graduation would pursue our Associate in Applied Science. For additional information about degrees as well as certificate programs, go to Academic Programs.

What is the average class size at SWIC?

While class sizes vary, the student-to-teacher ratio is 18-to-1, which makes it easy to get individual attention from your instructors.

How do I know which classes to take first?

Our academic advisors are available to assist you in selecting classes each semester based on your previous college credits, placement testing scores, planned major and future career choice. For additional information, go to Academic Advising.

Are academic, career and personal counseling available and, if so, do I need to set up an appointment?

A full range of academic advising/counseling services is available to SWIC students. While appointments are not always required, they are recommended. Learn more about Support Services at SWIC.

Do I need a student ID card and, if so, where do I get one?

Southwestern Illinois College students are entitled to a student identification card at no cost. The ID card is optional but is required to receive the following services: library card/Internet access, open computer lab access, discounts at the bookstore and café (when offered), College Activities reduced purchases, free pass to athletic events, free ridership on the St. Clair County District Transit Authority MetroBus and MetroLink, Madison County Transit Bus System, book buyback, etc. ID cards are available through the Public Safety Office at the Belleville and Sam Wolf Granite City campuses and at the Student Development Office at the Red Bud Campus.

How do I get my transcript?

Students may request transcripts online through National Student Clearinghouse. For more information, go to Request a Transcript.

How can I find out if SWIC is closed due to bad weather?

Information regarding the closing of Southwestern Illinois College due to weather conditions will be broadcast on FOX 2 (KTVI); KMOV-TV Channel 4; KSDK-TV Channel 5; KMOX-AM 1120; WHCO-AM 1230 and WIL-FM 92.3. This information will also be posted on the home page of the SWIC website at, and on, and

Students may also sign up on eSTORM for SWIC Alert, an emergency alert system designed to notify students and employees by email or text message of campus closure due to inclement weather or other emergencies.

Can I take college classes if I am still in high school?

High school students age 16 and older who have authorization to participate in college courses and programs may enroll. For more information, please contact Enrollment Services at 618-235-2700, ext. 5455. Students interested in earning college credit at their high school should check out Dual Credit opportunities.

Where do I get a parking permit?

For students, faculty and staff, parking is by permit only on the Belleville and Sam Wolf Granite City campuses. Annual permits are free and are issued by the Public Safety Departments on those campuses.

When do I apply for graduation?

Students need to apply for graduation by the following dates: Oct. 15 for fall graduation; Feb. 15 for spring graduation; or June 15 for summer graduation. The application for graduation is located in the eSTORM student center.

Is there job placement after graduation?

Job placement is available to all students through job fairs, career fairs, on-campus recruiting, job matching and resume writing. Visit Career Services for more information.