Many students within the past year have had to transition to online learning. Whether you are new to learning from home or just want to be sure you succeed at it, Southwestern Illinois College has compiled the following best practices to assist students in their online learning journey.
- Wake up and go to bed at the same time every day.
- Create a weekly schedule, with exact times to focus on each class.
- Minimize distractions.
- Tell family and friends when you are not available.
- Work on one class for 30-45 minutes; then take a 10-15 minute break.
- Submit all assignments on time.
- Have consistent access to high-speed internet.
- Have access to a computer. Not every assignment and activity will likely be able to be completed on a mobile device.
- Check your SWIC email first thing in the morning and often.
- Explore Brightspace and become familiar with its features and tools.
- Additional software may be needed such as Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.
Be sure to download and test them before assignments are due.
- Try different browsers such as Chrome, Firefox, Edge or Safari, if certain apps, programs, or files are not working properly.
- Always save your work.
- Contact your instructor with any questions you may have.
For information on online tutoring, visit swic.edu/success-center; for technology support, visit swic.edu/students/services/support-services/technology-assistance/; or to search for online courses offered at SWIC, visit swic.edu/courses.