Film Curriculum - Southwestern Illinois College

Associate in Arts Degree (0001) – Film Pre-Major

Are you planning to earn an Associate in Arts degree and then transfer to a four-year college or university to major in Film? We strongly encourage you to consult with a SWIC Advisor prior to enrolling each semester.  We also advise you to familiarize yourself with the specific requirements of the four-year institution where you plan to transfer.

Fulfill the General Education and other institutional requirements for the Associate in Arts degree listed in the printed or Online College Catalog. General Education course preferences may vary by transfer institution.

As you fulfill your degree requirements, it is strongly recommended that you take the following classes:

  • MCOM 201-Introduction to Mass Communication
  • FILM 115-Film Appreciation
  • FILM 215-Film History

Most four-year colleges and universities will accept the following classes as Film major credit:

  • FILM 105-Screenwriting I
  • FILM 140-Video Editing I
  • FILM 150 Moviemaking I

The optional courses listed below may be applicable toward a baccalaureate Film major. Please keep in mind that most transfer institutions limit the number of credit hours taken within a student’s major field of study at the community college level. To ensure the acceptance of such courses toward your intended major, check with the four-year institution where you are transferring or a SWIC Advisor regarding their applicability.

  • FILM 205-Screenwriting II
  • FILM 240, 241-Video Editing II, III
  • FILM 250, 251-Moviemaking II, III
  • FILM 260, 261, 262-Documentary Moviemaking I, II, III
  • FILM 298-Special Topics in Motion Picture Production
  • FILM 299-Special Topics in Film Study

Fulfill all other Associate in Arts degree requirements listed in the printed or Online College Catalog.

Apply for graduation by the date published in the College Calendar.

Earn at least 64 transferable credits with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.00 to graduate from SWIC. Many transfer institutions require a higher GPA for admission to the institution and/or specific majors.

Note: Enrollment in many transfer classes is based on your score on the assessment placement test and/or your fulfillment of course prerequisites.