Online Writing Lab (OWL)
Accessing Your Account
Currently enrolled students may access the OWL by logging in to eSTORM. Once logged in, click Success Center OWL from the left-side navigation bar.
What is the OWL?
The Success Center Online Writing Lab provides access to writing tutors for Southwestern Illinois College students. The OWL offers a convenient alternative to face-to-face writing tutoring which is available at each Success Center.
If you have questions or do not receive a response, please email English Specialist Alicia Price at Alicia.Price@swic.edu.
How It Works
– Tutors offer students feedback based on their questions and assignment details.
– Comments are posted in papers and available for students to print.
– Responses are returned to students via eSTORM, usually within two school days.
– Tutors do not respond to papers on weekends or during college breaks.
– Papers must be five pages or less (based on a standard double-spaced format).
– Longer papers and complex research papers should be brought to a Success Center.
– The OWL does not retain a paper’s formatting; tutors are unable to address questions regarding the formatting of such elements as the reference page, citations, etc.
– Please spell-check papers before submitting them to the OWL.
– Students can submit the same paper up to three times if it is revised significantly between submissions.
– Please submit essays throughout the semester to avoid last-minute, multiple submissions.