Veteran Services - Southwestern Illinois College

Save a trip!

Submit all veteran-related documents to

Students are encouraged to monitor their student email and eSTORM account for updates.

Aviation Military Student

Welcome Veterans

We are proud to have you at Southwestern Illinois College and greatly appreciate your time in service to our nation. We are pleased that you have chosen to make SWIC a part of your life. Thank you!

‘‘GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at®.”

American Flag waving in the wind

Daniel Nagel is the Veteran Coordinator for Southwestern Illinois College. He is available to meet with our military community during regular business hours.

Military Satisfactory Academic Progress

Effective Fall 2018

The Financial Aid, Veteran Services, and Student Employment Office has revised our satisfactory progress policy for students utilizing military educational benefits effective fall 2018.  Students using military educational benefits must adhere to the minimum satisfactory grade levels outlined in the “Satisfactory Academic Progress for Military Education Benefits Policy”.

Click here to download the policy

Illinois National Guard Grant

The ING interactive application for the current academic year is available for students to complete and submit online via the ISAC Student Portal.

ING Grant Program Application Deadline Dates

October 1 – Full Year Consideration
March 1 – Only 2nd Semester (2nd/3rd Quarter) and Summer Consideration
June 15 – Only Summer Term Consideration

Click here to access the application.

MIA/POW Scholarship

If you are the dependent of a person who was an Illinois resident at the time of entering active duty and who was declared to be a prisoner of war, missing in action, dead as a result of a service-connected disability, or disabled with a 100 percent disability as the result of a service-connected cause as recognized by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs or the U.S. Department of Defense, you may be eligible to receive the MIA/POW Scholarship. This scholarship may be used at public colleges in Illinois and is administered by the Illinois Department of Veterans Affairs (IDVA).

Learn more about the program and access the MIA/POW Scholarship application through this website. Questions about completing the application should be directed to the IDVA at 217.782.3564.

Click here to access the application.

Certify your classes

Be sure to visit the Office of Financial Aid, Veteran Services & Student Employment at one of the SWIC campuses early to complete your paperwork for the semester. The earlier you complete the paperwork, the sooner your classes will be certified.

Registration for Student Veterans

VetSuccess on Campus: Tools for Success

The Dept. of Veterans Affairs selected SWIC for the VetSuccess on Campus. Through the VSOC program, the VA places experienced vocational rehabilitation counselors on selected college campuses to assist the growing number of service members, veterans, and dependents attending school under the Post-9/11 GI Bill® and other VA educational programs.

The VSOC counselors are trained to provide academic and vocational guidance to veterans and help connect them to other VA benefits, including health care and mental health services. The VSOC counselors maintain close relationships with local VA Vet Centers and VA medical facilities, referring service members, veterans, and dependents as needed and providing assistance in applying for VA medical and nonmedical benefits.

VetSuccess on Campus services are available to service members and veterans eligible for any of the VA’s educational programs, including the Post 9/11 and Montgomery GI Bills®, as well as the VA’s Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program. VSOC counselors can also assist dependents of Veterans who are receiving VA education benefits, including eligible spouses attending school through the Post 9/11 GI Bill® and eligible children.

In addition, VA’s Education and Career Counseling Program offers a great opportunity for transitioning service members and veterans to get personalized counseling and support to guide their career paths, ensure the most effective use of their VA benefits and help them achieve their goals.

Office of Financial Aid, Veteran Services & Student Employment
Belleville Campus
Information Science Building
Room 1035

The VA GI Bill® website offers tools to help veterans transition from military service to student success. The new Veteran Employment Center on eBenefits is a one-stop shop offering online tools and resources for career assistance and connecting employers interested in hiring service members, veterans, and their dependents.

VA Work-Study

Assisting your fellow Veteran students.

If you are receiving VA benefits under Chapters 30, 31, 33, 35, 1606, or 1607 and are attending school at least 3/4 time, you may be eligible to participate in the VA Work-Study Program. This program includes student employment at a non-taxed, minimum wage and hours that can be scheduled around your classes.

Interested veterans may submit a completed application to the SWIC Belleville campus:

Office of Financial Aid, Veteran Services & Student Employment
Belleville Campus
Information Science Building
Room 1035

Download the Veterans Work-Study Application

Veteran-to-Veteran Tutoring

Work with a Veteran tutor in the Success Center!

Student Veterans Group

The SWIC chapter of Student Veterans of America is available to provide support and advocacy for fellow student veterans. Stop by their office located inside of the Veterans Student Center, room MC1245 at the Belleville Campus.


Important Information for Veterans

All new students applying for Federal Education Benefits should go to the GI Bill® website to see what benefit(s) they’re eligible for and what supporting documentation is needed to apply. The VA recommends applications be completed online and sent using the eBenefits website. If you apply online, print and bring a copy of the completed application to the nearest SWIC Office of Financial Aid, Veteran Services & Student Employment to claim your education benefits. Hardcopy applications are also available at our offices.

  • All new students and students changing schools or degree/certificate programs must notify Academic Advising and Registration of your established or changed program before attempting to claim benefits.
  • When received, a copy of your Certificate(s) Of Eligibility (COE(s)) should be brought to the nearest SWIC Office of Financial Aid, Veteran Services & Student Employment as soon as possible.
  • Students should register as soon as possible. Heavy workloads during registration can result in processing delays.
  • Students must complete the required forms every semester to use veterans’ benefits.
  • Students must maintain a 2.0-grade point average each semester enrolled to meet the Standards of Progress.
  • Notify the nearest SWIC Office of Financial Aid, Veteran Services & Student Employment of any class or schedule changes to prevent overpayment and possible reduction/loss of benefits.
  • Official high school and college transcripts (civilian and military) should be requested and forwarded to SWIC as soon as possible to prevent overpayment and possible loss of benefits. Degree-seeking service members can request an official transcript through the JST website. Additional FAQs can be viewed/printed here.
  • Be prepared to pay tuition and fees in the Business Office at the time of registration.
  • Request for Advance Pay must be requested 30 days prior to the beginning date of the semester.
  • Direct VA payment questions to the Veteran’s Regional Processing Office in St. Louis at 888-442-4551.
  • There are two ways to verify monthly enrollment for Chapters 30, 33, and 1606.
    • Call the Interactive Voice Response System (IVR) at 1-877-823-2378.
    • Access the GI Bill® website and follow the link to the WAVE program. Instructions are provided online.

Note: When calling any agency about your enrollment, billing or payments, obtain the name of the person you spoke with. This will speed up our response to your questions or problems.

Coordinator of Veterans and Military Personnel Student Services

Danny Nagel
Veteran Services Coordinator