Important Information About Your Veteran Benefits - Southwestern Illinois College

All new students applying for Federal Education Benefits should go to the GI Bill® website to see what benefit(s) they’re eligible for and what supporting documentation is needed to apply. The VA recommends applications be completed online and sent using the eBenefits website. If you apply online, print and bring a copy of the completed application to the nearest SWIC Office of Financial Aid, Veteran Services & Student Employment to claim your education benefits. Hardcopy applications are also available at our offices.

  • All new students and students changing schools or degree/certificate programs must notify Academic Advising and Registration of your established or changed program before attempting to claim benefits.
  • When received, a copy of your Certificate(s) Of Eligibility (COE(s)) should be brought to the nearest SWIC Office of Financial Aid, Veteran Services & Student Employment as soon as possible. Save time, email it directly to
  • Students should register as soon as possible. Heavy workloads during registration can result in processing delays.
  • Students must complete the required forms every semester to use veterans’ benefits.
  • Students must maintain a 2.0 grade point average each semester enrolled to meet the Standards of Progress.
  • Notify the nearest SWIC Office of Financial Aid, Veteran Services & Student Employment of any class or schedule changes to prevent overpayment and possible reduction/loss of benefits.
  • Official high school and college transcripts (civilian and military) should be requested and forwarded to SWIC as soon as possible to prevent overpayment and possible loss of benefits. Degree-seeking service members can request an official transcript through the JST website. Additional FAQs can be viewed/printed here.
  • Be prepared to pay tuition and fees in the Business Office at the time of registration.
  • Request for Advance Pay must be requested 30 days prior to the beginning date of the semester.
  • Direct VA payment questions to the Veteran’s Regional Processing Office in St. Louis at 888-442-4551.
  • There are two ways to verify monthly enrollment for Chapters 30, 33, and 1606.
    • Call the Interactive Voice Response System (IVR) at 1-877-823-2378.
    • Access the GI Bill® website and follow the link to the WAVE program. Instructions are provided online.

Note: When calling any agency about your enrollment, billing, or payments, obtain the name of the person you spoke with. This will speed up our response to your questions or problems.

College Financial Plan

The federal shopping sheet was created to help students compare college costs. You must apply for financial aid to receive a shopping sheet. Specific cost data will appear once you have submitted a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) AND have a completed financial aid file showing Title IV eligibility. Veterans’ educational benefits will appear once you have turned in all required documents and your Veteran Educational Benefit Request.

Cost of Attendance

Net Price Calculator