Admissions - Southwestern Illinois College

General Admission 

SWIC has an open-door admission policy. 


Individuals seeking admission to the college are required to submit a New Student Information Form either online or through the Enrollment Services office, Southwestern Illinois College, 2500 Carlyle Ave., Belleville, IL, 62221. All applicants will be required to provide proof of residency as detailed under Residency. 

Individuals eligible for admission to the college include: 

  • Graduates from a state-recognized high school or individuals with a High School Equivalency certificate.
  • Individuals 18 years of age or older and no longer enrolled in high school.
  • Transfer students from other colleges and universities who meet one of the above criteria.
  • Individuals younger than 18 years of age who have quit attending high school and have authorization to participate in college courses and programs from appropriate high school officials. These students will be evaluated through the use of an assessment program to determine their appropriate English, reading and math placement levels.
  • High school students age 16 and older or who are juniors or seniors who have authorization to participate in college courses and programs from appropriate college and high school officials (using the dual enrollment/dual credit form). Students may enroll only in the course(s) authorized on the dual enrollment form.

Prospective students over the age of 16 not meeting any of the requirements above are encouraged to explore the Adult Education and Literacy Department for ways to meet admissions requirements. 

Students attending high school and college in the same semester are required to submit a Dual Enrollment Form at the time of registration. The Dual Enrollment Form outlines the dual enrollment requirements for participation in college-level courses.

Admission to the college does not guarantee entrance into a particular course or program of study. The college reserves the right to establish selective admission procedures and to give preference to residents of Community College District 522. 

Students seeking an F-1 student visa should refer to the section titled International Student Admission.

Helpful Links