FA Resources - Southwestern Illinois College

Q & A Help Sheet

I need financial assistance for school.
What do I need to do?

You should always apply for federal student aid, even if you do not think you will be eligible for grants. You might be eligible for loans and work-study. To get started:

Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at studentaid.gov.

  • Students can complete the FAFSA themselves, for assistance:
    • Belleville Campus: 618-235-2700, ext. 5288
    • Sam Wolf Granite City Campus: 618-931-0600, ext. 7347
    • Red Bud Campus: 618-282-6682, ext. 8126
    • For general questions, email fin_aid@swic.edu.
    • FAFSA questions: 1-800-433-3243
  • Students and parents, complete an FSA ID at studentaid.gov prior to seeking assistance with FAFSA completion.
  • See the back of this sheet for a list of items needed to complete the FAFSA.

Eligibility Requirements

The Financial Aid Handbook and Award

The Letter Guide at swic.edu/financial-aid-handbook provides all financial aid eligibility requirements. General requirements:

I have completed my FAFSA. What do I need to do next?

  • Meet with Academic Advising to select courses needed for your program.
  • Five business days after FAFSA completion, log in to your eSTORM and SWIC student email account to monitor the status of your financial aid file. If selected for verification, Financial Aid will communicate additional required documentation in your “to-do list” as well as through email. The faster you respond to financial aid requests, the faster your file will be processed.

I’ve submitted all the required documentation.
What is the status of my financial aid?

You must wait for Financial Aid to complete the processing of your file, which generally takes two to three weeks. Once completed, and if you are actively enrolled, your award will be posted on your eSTORM account. LOAN BORROWERS: You must accept your loan through eSTORM and complete Loan Entrance Counseling and a Master Promissory Note at studentaid.gov.
For additional questions about your file, contact Financial Aid at 618-235-2700, ext. 5288.

How do I use financial aid to pay for my books?

You may use financial aid for books if you have been awarded funds that exceed the amount of your outstanding balance and if you have authorized Financial Aid to release your information to the bookstore in eSTORM. LOAN BORROWERS: In order to use loan funds in the bookstore, you must accept your loan through eSTORM and complete Loan Entrance Counseling and a Master Promissory Note at studentaid.gov. For general questions, email fin_aid@swic.edu.

What do I need to do to maintain my financial aid?

  • Complete a new FAFSA on Oct. 1 every year.
  • Meet all financial aid eligibility requirements as referenced above.

What can I do to avoid being dropped by the Student Accounts office?

You must set up a payment plan with the Student Accounts office as soon as possible. They cannot see financial aid funds until your file is complete and Financial Aid has posted an award to your account. For general questions, email BusinessOffice@swic.edu. For questions about viewing your
student account in eSTORM, call 618-222-SWIC (7942) or email estormhelp@swic.edu.