Peace Officer Wellness Evaluation Report
ACADEMY COVID-19 RESPONSE
As a result of the “shelter-in-place” order the Southwestern Illinois College Police Academy has revised its policies in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The July 11 Power test will be completed as scheduled. All participants are required to have masks before entering campus buildings. Please ensure that you have necessary paperwork and $50.00 fee to expedite check in. Please contact the Police Academy with any questions.
Power Test Card
The Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board, in recognizing the importance of physical fitness status for academy performance (and eventual job performance), has established the Peace Officer Wellness Evaluation Report (POWER) test for entering any of the Illinois certified police academies.
The POWER test will be provided to all candidates prior to entering the academy to see if each individual meets the standards. These fitness entrance requirements help to ensure that each recruit can undergo both the physical and academic demands of an academy without undue risk of injury and with a level of fatigue tolerance to meet all academy requirements. If the applicant does not meet all the standards, the recruit will not be allowed to enter the academy.
The POWER Test Card
The POWER Test Card, issued by the Southwestern Illinois Police Academy, is a requirement by many law enforcement agencies as part of their new peace officer hiring process. Applicants must possess a valid POWER Test Card in order to apply for the position of a police officer or deputy.
Please note: The POWER Test Card is for the peace officer applicant hiring process only. Individuals hired by an agency will be required to take, and pass, the POWER Test again at the beginning of the Police Academy.
An applicant must pass each of the four basic POWER Test Sections:
- Sit & Reach Test
- 1 Minute Sit Up Test
- 1 Repetition Maximum Bench Press
- 1.5 Mile Run
For more information about the POWER Test click on the following link:
POWER Test – ILETSB POWER Test booklet https://www.ptb.illinois.gov/media/1320/power.pdf
- Applicants must be at least 20 years of age at time of scheduled power test and must provide government issued Driver’s License or State ID card on the day of testing.
- $50.00 for one attempt at the POWER test. (Bring a check or money order made out to: Southwestern Illinois Police Academy)
- Refunds will not be given after payment is received by SWIC Police Academy
- The POWER Test Card will be issued to the candidate following the successful completion of the test.
- All participants of the Power test must wear appropriate exercise attire:
- Athletic shorts (must have on during “sit and reach” exercise, knees must be clearly visible). Hooded sweatshirt and sweatpants (if necessary) or other clothing as weather dictates, YOU SHOULD PLAN ON RUNNING OUTSIDE. Athletic socks. Running shoes.
- Test will be conducted rain or shine. Only in the case of extreme weather will a test be delayed or cancelled.
- Cancellation of a test will be made at SWIC Police Academy’s discretion.
- Remember to bring your own water or bottle.
- No electronic devices (cell phone, earbuds, etc) will be allowed during the test.
- The last day an applicant can register is one day prior to test date.
1. Call the Southwestern Illinois Police Academy to register for one of the scheduled test date and times. Phone 618-222-5396.
2. Print Registration Form and Release of All Liabilities Form. Fill out these two forms and bring with you to the test.
Registration and Release of All Liabilities Forms
Testing Dates and Location
3. Do not forget to bring a check or money order for $50.00 made out to Southwestern Illinois Police Academy.
Southwestern Illinois Police Academy
Southwestern Illinois College
2500 Carlyle Avenue
Belleville, IL 62221
Park in Lot M4 or M5. Use entrance Door H.
SEE TOP OF PAGE FOR REVISED INFORMATION
Dates and Times:
|Saturday, February 6, 2021||8:00 am|
|Saturday, March 13, 2021||8:00 am|
|Saturday, April 10, 2021||8:00 am|
|Saturday, May 1, 2021||8:00 am|
|Saturday, June 12, 2021||8:00 am|
|Saturday, July 10, 2021||8:00 am|